Working better together
So, who helps us to create a new generation of life-savers on Restart a Heart Day?
The event in Yorkshire is sponsored by our very own Yorkshire Ambulance Service Charity which is committed to providing young people with life-saving education.
The event is organised in partnership with the British Heart Foundation, which supplies free Call Push Rescue training kits (including manikins and a tutorial DVD) to participating schools as part of its Nation of Lifesavers campaign, the Resuscitation Council and St John Ambulance.
We are really grateful for the support of our two event ambassadors – Halifax-based singer and actress Lizzie Jones, whose husband, Welsh International Rugby League player Danny Jones died aged 29 after suffering a cardiac arrest during a match in May 2015, and ITV Calendar presenter Christine Talbot.
But we couldn’t achieve our success on Restart a Heart Day without the many secondary schools who sign up every year and our dedicated team of volunteers who give up their own time to support the CPR training.
A total of 210 volunteers helped us to deliver our first Restart a Heart Day in 2014 and this soared to a phenomenal 900 volunteers in recent years - a 343% increase!
The majority of volunteers are our off-duty staff and community first responders, but involvement from external organisations has also increased over the years and in 2018 we were supported by over 26 partners, including Yorkshire’s four fire and rescue services, hospitals, St John Ambulance, STEM Ambassadors, student medics, Mountain Rescue and Lifewise.
Many have personal experiences of either giving or receiving CPR and understand the value of how it can really make a difference to cardiac arrest patients.
So thank you to each and every one of them!
Volunteer support in 2018 came from the following partner organisations:
- Airedale General Hospital
- Bradford University Student Paramedics
- Doncaster Royal Infirmary
- Friarage Hospital, Northallerton
- Harrogate District Hospital
- Hull and East Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust
- Hull Clinical Commissioning Group
- Hull University Student Paramedics
- Humberside Fire and Rescue Service
- James Cook University Hospital, Middlesbrough
- Leeds General Infirmary
- Mountain Rescue
- North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service
- Northern General Hospital
- Rotherham Hospital
- Sheffield Hallam University medical students
- Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service
- St James’s University Hospital, Leeds
- St John Ambulance
- St John Ambulance
- St Mary’s Hospital, Leeds
- STEM Ambassadors
- University of York Student Nurses
- West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service
- York Hospital